Thursday 14 February 2013

While you are away, my darling

While you are away, my darling, I stare into the
space in our rooms
And I take and I fill and I arrange particles of
air into rows
And columns and build a perfect image of you from feet to
face and I zoom
To each part I would like to tenderly kiss from
hair down to toes.

But kiss nothing.

While you are away, my darling, I lie on our bed
upon my side
And I imagine you are lying sweetly beside me
bowled-eyes meeting.
I imagine so, that I feel your presence and warmth
upon my thigh
Until, believing you are here, I reach out to
hold you tightly.

But hold nothing.

While you are away my darling, I play dangerously
with my mind.
It fills the voids with substance, with radiance, light:
fairy lights.
And it clouds my judgement by tricking my senses:
makes me blind.
Until I inflate it up ‘til it bursts once the bubble’s
far too tight.

And I’ve nothing.

When you return, my darling, I shall build for us
A hundred mattress high bed to set us aloft, apart
And, in your true form, we shall lie together
Content to be lying, meeting eye to eye, forever.

I’ll have everything.


Written for entry in The Bridport Prize, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment