Saturday 3 November 2012

Little robin red breast

Little robin red breast pecking at my feet,
Little robin red breast with a taste for meat.
It's hard to get annoyed at my own blood's
Sight when nature here is like a flood:
Never have I seen so much so close before,
Nor this level of exposed and nasty gore.

I have flies buzzing hungrily round my thighs,
I got ants literally within my pants,
I feel the chaffing pinches of many chaffinches
As they make the cuts that will spill out my guts
So that snails can sup on my entrails;
And now a jackdaw crunching through my jaws.

I have worms working through my toes,
Working alongside their usual foes
To work apart and feast on the inside
Of my feet, my hands, my front and hide.
And on my lips I can feel the rough kiss
Wrought by the talons of a magpie’s fist-

I'd taste the blood but my tongue's been taken
By a helpful and friendly Tower raven.
My joy may seem to some feigned,
And even though I am racked with pain,
I am joyful as a pig in mud,
Even as I hear the thud

Of my hand, now departed
To the place we all started,
To where we shall return
Via grave or fire and urn-

And, oh what a pleasure!
To be so close to nature!
And, oh what a pleasure!
To be soon parts of nature!

For when through this bench I fall
I will join the glory of all-
Taking on a brand new wife
To be with through eternal life.


Nothings ends but carries on:
Energy to energy ever on;
I do not see a way to die
If with nature I fortify.

No comments:

Post a Comment