Wednesday 28 November 2012

He calls the knaves Jacks, this boy!

From childhood I thought we were destined,
As are all who climb into and share skins.
I grew up dreaming and planning our life,
Seeking always to avoid unnecessary strife
By building myself up to be worthy of you,
And not slide into the almighty pauper-stew.
But although I managed to climb up and along
We never got closer to completing our song,
For you were always cold and distant as stars
Your heart always unassailably far.

I should have known, right from the very start
That I would never be able to win your heart,
That you too were a pawn in a game against men,
A trap to ensnare all of my kind and my ken;
That I was never to even your time let:
I should have known from that sentence,

the first time that we met.
My language and my being appalled you,
This reaction remained ever to be true,
Everything else was merely pretence.

No comments:

Post a Comment